Dental fillings are placed in teeth where tooth structure has been damaged from caries(cavities) or trauma. Dental filling materials have come a long way since Dr. Bruce Stevens began practicing in 1978. Although silver amalgam was the dominant choice years ago, today we offer several other cosmetic options for tooth restorations ranging from tooth colored composite materials to highly esthetic porcelain.
Replacing Silver Fillings with a Tooth Colored Restoration
You can have your silver fillings replaced with tooth-colored restorations (onlays). This process requires two appointments.
Your First Appointment:
- The old filling is removed along with any additional decay.
- An impression is made of your teeth. A model of your teeth is made and sent to the lab.
- A temporary onlay is placed on the tooth.
At the Lab: A resin is carefully placed into the model of your teeth. It is then designed to look natural.
Your Second Appointment:
- The temporary onlay is removed.
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new onlay.
- Bonding cement is placed on the tooth and a high intensity light bonds the resin to the tooth.
- The tooth is then polished.
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!